A free and open forum for and by Calabria property owners.
View unanswered posts | View active topics Register | Login

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 30th, 2012, 11:43 pm 

Hi,

Does anyone have any info on the change of propertry ICI tax that apparently will be introduced from June 2012.

I have been alerted that the ICI tax will be replaced by an alternate tax called IMU which will be siginficantly more expensive for 2nd homes with an annula rate in a region of 0.76 to 1.06% of the Property Value.

Would be pleased to hear from anyone who has heard likewise or can shed any more detail on this.

John :shock:

Report this post
PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 8:53 am 

Hi John,

The biggest change to the council tax system is that now it will not apply only to second homes but first homes as well, which has had Italians up in arms. The ICI on first homes was abolished by Belusconi in an election pledge, and is large responsible for having left councils around Italy impoverished and destitute. Not that Monti's IMU goes to the council - it doesn't - it goes to the state who will then fund the councils in a bid to eradicate local corruption (by favouring nationwide corruption, some say).

Dennis.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 9:44 am 

We have been told that it will be payable 3 times a year and unlike the ICI you cannot pay for the year. Presumably they can then alter the amount to be paid each time. Assume it still has to be paid at the PO.

Report this post
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2012, 11:43 pm 

Thanks for your reply Dennis

Report this post
PostPosted: May 9th, 2012, 7:39 pm 

I have asked my bill paying service in Northern Calabria (Scalea) about the % rates quoted at the top of this and was told that there are NO ACTUAL FIGURES YET because they haven't been set! (I asked because these figures are worrying!).

I was told, however, that each council can set its own rate - mine is Diamante Council.

In June you will pay 'half of last year's ICI rate' (because they're not organised yet! Domani domani), and in December you will pay 'the other half', PLUS the balance to make up the new figure for IMU. The feeling is that it won't be as excessive as the %ages quoted above - which in my case would have made IMU more than ten times ICI. (Oh I do hope my bill payers are right!!)

My neighbour, Giorgio, is concerned as he has a large family home ~ he'll get slammed by comparison!

Report this post
PostPosted: May 11th, 2012, 11:58 am 

Please see advice I received a few weeks ago from a contact in Italy:-

The deadline for the 1st installment is June 17th, the 2nd installment September 17th (this is new, in the past years there were only 2 installments possible) and the 3rd by December 17th. You may pay ofcourse the entire amount by June 17th and wait until December should there be an extra cost added by the Town Council. It seems at the moment that there will be an extra cost in December, but the amount hasn't been yet decided by the authority.

I hope this is of use. I was also advised that the rubbish tax is not included in the IMU calculations.

Kathryn

Report this post
PostPosted: May 13th, 2012, 7:38 pm 

Location: Carmarthen, south west Wales / Santa Maria di Ricadi, Capo Vaticano
Hi Kathryn,
Thank you for the information re IMU Tax.
Do you or anyone else know what the IMU Tax will be based on. Is it based on the Rendita Catastale, the valuation of the property or something else?
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: May 14th, 2012, 8:37 am 

Hi davidnam,

Should I get any further information I shall update you.
Kathryn

Report this post
PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 4:20 pm 

I paid the old tax through the BC office but was charged the going rate, the same as the keyholders.
It is a bit much to pay on top of the tax ( twice a year)
I know that some people go in person to the town hall if their Italian is reasonable can get it paid.
Is there a way of paying at the Post office or just setting up a direct debit ??
mel.

Report this post
PostPosted: June 13th, 2012, 10:38 am 

My IMU tax due later this month has been calculated at 80 euros. My understanding that we can expect another bill later in the year.

Report this post
PostPosted: September 20th, 2012, 9:59 am 

Hi, We have finally got our deeds and I have a question regarding the IMU tax. I co-own my property and want to know whether we need to complete two forms, one for each owner, and if so under Percentuale di possesso would we put 50% on each form? Also for the Aliquota we have entered 10% but it seems to revert to 4%.

Can someone also advise whether there is any other tax that we have to pay. We were originally told we have to go to the Town Hall but I know that the IMU tax can be paid at the Post Office or through our bank, so we are a bit confused.

One final question how do we pay the tax for previous years?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth

Report this post
PostPosted: September 20th, 2012, 12:54 pm 

I have just recently returned from Calabria from our 2 bed apartment in the Ricadi area. I paid my 1st instalment of the IMU tax in June of this year.
I went to the Commune office in Ricadi with this years Rendita Catastale form, Codice Fiscale & Passport. I believe that providing you have your Codice Fiscale everything relating to you and your property is on the their Computer system.
The gentleman worked out the IMU tax for the 1st 6 months of 2012, 50% for myself and 50% for my wife (I think €133 in total).
I asked him about the ICI & TARSU taxes I had not paid for 2009, 3010 , 2011 and the 2nd instalment of the IMU Tax for 2012 and was told to come back in September when I was next visiting.
He issued forms for the amount of tax to be paid for myself and wife and I had to go to the Ricadi Post Office to pay the IMU tax.
I have now been advised that the 2nd instalment of the IMU tax cannot be paid until November! The IMU tax can be paid by someone else providing they have the necessary paperwork.
Does anyone know whether we can pay our IMU on-line?

Regarding my unpaid ICI and TARSU taxes
Whilst there I received a document from our developer / builder who still owns 10 of the apartments on our resort. This document which he said was important to keep was from the Comune di Ricadi entitled "Autorizzazione di Agibilita" (translated meaning Approval of Viability?) and had an embossed stamp for the receipt of €14,62 from the Ministero dell'Economic e delle Finanze. It states in this document that on the 13/03/2012 the developer /builder (by name) had accepted the responsibility for the ICI and TARSU Taxes for this building and had been paid.
In our case it appears that our developer / builder has paid for the past Taxes or has taken responsibility for them. This does not surprise me as he is such an honest, generous and kind gentleman.
I have been told when enquiring about the paying the past taxes that the Commune is waiving them now that IMU has come in and not to pursue it. I am personally not convinced about this, only time will tell.
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: September 20th, 2012, 3:02 pm 

Thanks for the information. Very helpful

Report this post
PostPosted: November 6th, 2012, 11:55 pm 

Update on IMU Tax for my wife and I.
I paid €144 in total in June.
A friend has just paid my IMU and it had increased to €232 for this last 6 months of 2012, a 61% increase!
I am not sure if we will find out whether the increase is only due to Monti the PM's way of paying the countries debt or whether the local Comune of Ricadi have taken the opportunity to hike up their precept at the same time.
I beieve that the TARSU (rubbish) tax is extra to the IMU, can someone confirm this and when should it be paid?
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: November 7th, 2012, 11:35 am 

Hi David

The waste tax is not included in the IMU tax.
The waste tax bill is sent to your home address and I think I'm right in saying is paid in arrears. It would be so much easier if we were sent a bill for the IMU tax in the same way.

Lorica

Report this post
PostPosted: November 7th, 2012, 11:37 am 

David

We receive the waste tax bill around May time.

Lorica

Report this post
PostPosted: November 8th, 2012, 1:38 am 

lorica,
Thanks for the information and confirming that the TARSU (Waste) tax is separate.
I've never been sent a demand for my ICI or TARSU taxes and I've had my apartment in the Santa Maria di Ricadi / Capo Vaticano area since October 2008.
As I have mentioned earlier I've recently had from the Comune di Ricadi "Autorizzazione di Agibilita" (translated meaning Approval of Viability) for our apartment via our developer. Included in the text of the document it states that all taxes have been paid up to March 2012. I can only assume that our developer had paid the ICI and TARSU for the past 3 years!
When you mentioned "home address" is that your Italian or your UK address?
davidnam

Report this post
PostPosted: November 8th, 2012, 11:43 am 

David

We have 2 apartments the waste tax bill for our apartment in Lorica goes to Lorica but the waste tax bill for our other apartment in Caulonia has our UK address on it.
They do not send out bills for ICI/IMU you have to either go to your local town hall and get them to calculate it for you or some brave people have done the calculation on-line themselves. ICI/IMU tax is paid in June (for either 6 months or the whole year) and again in Dec if you only paid 6 months in June.

Lorica

Report this post